No Image

‘Pro-Daesh stragglers a threat to Marawi’

November 3, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP, AP
Sat, 2017-11-04 03:00
ID: 
1509749436959582300

MANILA: Armed stragglers supporting Daesh and hiding out among the ruins of a Philippine city after the end of a five-month battle still pose a threat to returning civilians, the military said on Friday.
The admission came after authorities arrested an armed Indonesian militant this week and killed three other gunmen in the bombed-out southern city of Marawi. “The main battle area, where most of the very heavy fighting occurred in the last few weeks prior to the liberation and the cessation of combat operation still harbors a number of stragglers,” military spokesman Maj. Gen. Restituto Padilla said.
“These so-called stragglers continue to pose a huge threat to our people in Marawi as has been proven by the events of the past few days,” Padilla told reporters in Manila. Hundreds of local and foreign gunmen who had pledged allegiance to Daesh rampaged through Marawi on May 23.
An ensuing US-backed military campaign claimed the lives of more than 1,100 people including around 900 militants, displaced 400,000 residents and reduced large parts of the city to rubble.
Padilla said the authorities were trying to confirm information provided by the captured suspect that more than 30 militants continue to hide out in building basements and tunnels.

Militant leader’s widow
A Filipino militant leader’s widow, who has been arrested for allegedly calling on fighters to join a pro-Daesh group siege in southern Marawi city, also faces allegations that she recruited Indian men to fight in Syria and Iraq, Philippine officials said Friday.
National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) investigator Joshua Raymundo said India has asked the Philippines to help investigate Karen Aizha Hamidon, who allegedly worked to encourage several Indian militants last year to join Daesh in the Middle East. Hamidon denied the allegation.
“They have detained several individuals who were recruited by Karen to join Daesh in Iraq and Syria,” Raymundo told reporters in Manila, adding that the arrested Indian militants identified Hamidon as their recruiter. Filipino authorities arrested Hamidon last month on suspicion of recruiting Muslims to join a deadly siege in Marawi. She faces as many counts of inciting to rebellion, they said.
Hamidon denied terrorism allegations against her. “I’m just a blogger. I am into journalistic articles, composition… and social media usage but no more, no more than that,” she told reporters after she appeared before a prosecutor at the Department of Justice.

Main category: 

The post ‘Pro-Daesh stragglers a threat to Marawi’ appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Image

Niger Delta Avengers end cease-fire in oil region, says report

November 3, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
Reuters, AFP
Sat, 2017-11-04 03:00
ID: 
1509749441309584000

LAGOS/ABUJA: The Nigerian militant group Niger Delta Avengers said on Friday that they had ended their cease-fire in the oil-rich southeasterly region.
Attacks on oil facilities in the Niger Delta in 2016 cut Nigeria’s oil production from a peak of 2.2 million barrels per day (bpd) to near 1 million bpd, the lowest level seen in Africa’s top oil producer in at least 30 years.
Nigeria relies on crude oil sales for two-thirds of government revenue and most of its foreign exchange. Attacks in the Delta helped to push Africa’s largest economy into recession in 2016. It emerged in the second quarter of this year, mostly due to increased oil production. The militants want a larger share of Nigeria’s oil wealth to go to the impoverished southern swampland region.
Cash fraud
Nigeria’s former national security adviser on Friday denied illegally channeling money meant for the fight against Boko Haram to fund Goodluck Jonathan’s failed re-election campaign.
Sambo Dasuki told the Federal High Court in Abuja that he “did not enter into an unlawful act with respect to any transaction” with Olisa Metuh, who is on trial for corruption.
Metuh, the former spokesman for Jonathan’s Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), is accused of receiving 400 million nairas ($1.1 million) from Dasuki before the 2015 vote.
The money allegedly came from defense funds earmarked to buy weapons and equipment for the Nigerian military tackling the militants in the country’s remote northeast.
Both Dasuki, who is on trial separately accused of sending the defense cash to other prominent PDP members, and Metuh have said Jonathan was aware of the transactions. But the former head of state, whose wife and other close family members are facing claims of graft, is not thought to have been questioned.

Main category: 

The post Niger Delta Avengers end cease-fire in oil region, says report appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Image

Software Wars: Segwit2x Uncertainty and the Casting of Miner Votes

November 3, 2017 Jamie Redman 0

Software Wars: Segwit2x Uncertainty and the Casting of Miner VotesJust recently news.Bitcoin.com reported on the Segwit2x lead developer Jeff Garzik detailing that the upcoming fork was “still full steam ahead.” Lately, bitcoin proponents from both sides of the scaling debate have been bickering quite a bit, and now many businesses and individuals are either declaring their Segwit2x support or distancing themselves from the project. […]

The post Software Wars: Segwit2x Uncertainty and the Casting of Miner Votes appeared first on Bitcoin News.

The post Software Wars: Segwit2x Uncertainty and the Casting of Miner Votes appeared first on bitcoinmining.shop.

The post Software Wars: Segwit2x Uncertainty and the Casting of Miner Votes appeared first on Forex news forex trade.

No Image

US strikes Daesh in Somalia for first time

November 3, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP
Sat, 2017-11-04 01:30
ID: 
1509748338869509100

WASHINGTON: The US conducted a pair of drone strikes against Daesh fighters in Somalia on Friday, the first time America has hit the jihadists in the Horn of Africa nation, officials said.
The strikes occurred in northeastern Somalia and killed “several terrorists,” the US military’s Africa Command said in a statement.
According to Voice of America, which cited the chairman of the town of Qandala in the semiautonomous region of Puntland, six missiles hit an IS base in Buqa village, 60 kilometers (35 miles) away.
“Local residents and pastoralists were shocked and fled from the area,” Jama Mohamed Qurshe told VOA.
AFRICOM spokesman Lt. Commander Anthony Falvo said no civilians were in the vicinity of the strikes.
“They struck their intended targets,” he told AFP, noting these were the first anti-Daesh air strikes in Somalia.
The first strike occurred around midnight Somalia time (0300 GMT) with the second strike coming at about 11:00 am (1400 GMT).
In recent months, the US has repeatedly hit Somali jihadists from the Shabab rebel group that is aligned with Al-Qaeda, but Friday’s development marks a significant step in the ever-evolving war against Daesh.
“US forces will continue to use all authorized and appropriate measures to protect Americans and to disable terrorist threats,” AFRICOM said.
IS claimed its first suicide attack in Somalia in May, killing at least five people as it stepped up activities in a region dominated by the Shabab.
The militants are led by former Shabab cleric Abdiqadir Mumin, who switched allegiance from Al-Qaeda to Daesh in October 2015 and was named a “global terrorist” by the US State Department in August.
Mumin was born in Puntland and lived in Sweden before moving to the UK in the 2000s, where he was granted British citizenship.

Main category: 

The post US strikes Daesh in Somalia for first time appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Image

Trump Administration Issues Report Concluding That Climate Change Is Real And Man-Made

November 3, 2017 Tyler Durden 0

This assessment concludes, based on extensive evidence, that it is extremely likely that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.:

           – from “Highlights of the Findings of the U.S. Global Change Research Program Climate Science Special Report“, Nov. 3 2017

Surprising many “climate watchers”, on Friday the Trump Administration allowed the release of a sweeping federal climate report that began under President Barack Obama and concludes that humans are the primary driver of climate change, causing higher temperatures, sea level rise, agriculture problems and more. The reportwhose executive summary alone is 34 pages – found the Earth is undergoing its warmest period “in the history of modern civilization,” fueled primarily by rising levels of carbon dioxide. It was released by the U.S. Global Change Research Program, which is mandated by Congress to report every four years on the state of climate change.

The massive study – which is the first volume of the Fourth National Climate Assessment, was years in the making and involved contributions from more than a dozen federal agencies – is meant to be an authoritative assessment of the current state of climate change science.

However, what has caught pundits by surprise, is that many of the report’s conclusions directly contradict the Trump administration’s publicly held positions on climate change.

Case in point: Trump officials like EPA chief Scott Pruitt and Energy Secretary Rick Perry have said they can’t be sure whether human-caused greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide are the primary cause of climate change. And yet the Climate Assessment plainly states that is the case. “This assessment concludes, based on extensive evidence, that it is extremely likely that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century,” it says. “For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.”

“Globally averaged, annually averaged surface air temperature has increased by about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit, or 1 degree Centigrade, over the last 115 years,” David Fahey, an atmospheric scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and one of the leading authors of the report, told reporters. “This period is now the warmest in the history of modern civilization.”

While it concedes that greenhouse gas emission growth has slowed in recent years, it concludes it’s not enough to keep temperatures from rising more than 2 degrees Celsius, the limit at which scientists expect the worst effects of climate change to be irreversible.

The report also cites “thousands of studies conducted by researchers around the world” that show evidence of a warming globe, including “changes in surface, atmospheric, and oceanic temperatures; melting glaciers; diminishing snow cover; shrinking sea ice; rising sea levels; ocean acidification; and increasing atmospheric water vapor.” The study also includes dire warnings about the impact of climate change on human activities.

Heavy rainfall, which causes flooding, is expected to increase over the rest of the century, and heat waves will become more frequent. Severe weather events like forest fires and drought will grow more prevalent, and sea levels will rise “by at least several inches in the next 15 years and by 1–to-4 feet by 2100.”

 

Severe weather events like forest fires and drought will grow more prevalent, and sea levels will rise “by at least several inches in the next 15 years and by 1–to-4 feet by 2100.”

The study is the fourth time this century that federal scientists have put together a report on the impacts of climate change around the globe and in the United States.

What has perplexed analysts, is what was contained in the study, or rather what wasn’t: this year’s assessment comes amid concerns that the White House would work to undermine the study’s conclusions. As we reported at the time, scientists shared a draft version of the study with The New York Times in August, seeking extra publicity for its findings in the hope of rebuffing any attempt to water it down.

“Of course there are perhaps fears. We’re all citizens and scientists at the same time. But I think whatever fears we had weren’t realized,” NOAA scientist Fahey said. “The word ‘interference’ might have been a threat, but it never materialized. This report says what the scientists wanted it to say.”

In an attempt to preserve some ambivalence, the White House issued a statement that “the climate has changed and is always changing” and pointed to a line in the report that concluded the future of climate change depends primarily on “remaining uncertainty in the sensitivity of Earth’s climate to [greenhouse gas] emissions.”

The report said, with “very high confidence,” that the magnitude of climate change will also depend on the “amount of greenhouse gases emitted globally” over the next few decades.

“The administration supports rigorous scientific analysis and debate and encourages public comment on the draft documents being released today.To address climate change as well as other risks, the U.S. will continue to promote access to the affordable and reliable energy needed to grow economically, and to support technology, innovation and the development of modern and efficient infrastructure that will reduce emissions and enable us to add

The bottom line, and what may spark controversies among Trump supporters, is that the central premise of the report, that climate change is real and that humans are to blame, contradicts previous statements of President Donald Trump and many high-ranking members of his administration, who have questioned the scientific findings regarding climate change. The EPA had no immediate comment.

The post Trump Administration Issues Report Concluding That Climate Change Is Real And Man-Made appeared first on crude-oil.news.

The post Trump Administration Issues Report Concluding That Climate Change Is Real And Man-Made appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Image

Could Crypto Mining Provide a Low Cost Heating Solution? These Two Inventors Think So

November 3, 2017 Rick D. 0

People living in colder countries will know the dread of the heating bill’s arrival all-too-well. However, two enterprising men from Siberia have figured out a way to not only heat their home for free but to actually make money out of it. Using the heat generated from cryptocurrency miners, the pair have been testing out … Continue reading Could Crypto Mining Provide a Low Cost Heating Solution? These Two Inventors Think So

The post Could Crypto Mining Provide a Low Cost Heating Solution? These Two Inventors Think So appeared first on NEWSBTC.

The post Could Crypto Mining Provide a Low Cost Heating Solution? These Two Inventors Think So appeared first on bitcoinmining.shop.

The post Could Crypto Mining Provide a Low Cost Heating Solution? These Two Inventors Think So appeared first on fastforexprofit.com, الفوركس بالنسبة لك.

The post Could Crypto Mining Provide a Low Cost Heating Solution? These Two Inventors Think So appeared first on Forex news forex trade.

No Image

OIC calls for recognition of Palestine as independent state

November 3, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
MOHAMMED RASOOLDEEN
Sat, 2017-11-04 03:00
ID: 
1509745653329406400

RIYADH: The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has called on Britain and other countries to fully recognize Palestine as an independent state.
The statement was issued to mark the OIC’s displeasure at the British government’s intention to organize a celebration to mark Thursday’s centenary of the Balfour Declaration, which laid the foundations for the state of Israel on Palestinian territory.
Describing the declaration as “a heinous act,” the OIC condemned the anniversary’s commemoration, stating that the declaration has deprived Palestinians of their native land, and to celebrate that fact could only aggravate the already-tense situation in the occupied territories.
The OIC called on the UK government to face up to its historical, judicial, political and ethical responsibilities and, in partnership with the international community, to take positive steps to end the Israeli occupation and its illegal policies, practices and expansion plans.
The OIC’s statement also urged Britain to help the Palestinian people recover their legitimate national rights.
The OIC highlighted its support for the rights of the Palestinian people, including the right to self-determination, the right of return for refugees, and the right to establish an independent state within the 1967 borders, with Jerusalem as its capital.
The organization also pledged its support to international efforts to achieve comprehensive justice for Palestine under relevant UN resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative.
The OIC also registered its appreciation of the Palestinian people for their steadfast dedication to their homeland, and their ongoing efforts to defend their land in the face of Israeli aggression.

Main category: 

The post OIC calls for recognition of Palestine as independent state appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Image

Saudi Labor Ministry, GAZT sign data exchange deal

November 3, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
RASHID HASSAN
Sat, 2017-11-04 03:00
ID: 
1509745653449406700

RIYADH: The Ministry of Labor and Social Development on Thursday said it has entered into an information-sharing agreement with the General Authority for Zakat and Income Tax (GAZT).
The agreement “aims to enhance cooperation between the two entities, as well as implement a suitable mechanism that allows them to obtain data they need in order to efficiently carry out their tasks,” the ministry said.
The agreement includes information exchanges in the fields of data verification, follow-up and updating, it said.
This will avoid mistakes in data entry and assist in the launch of facilities and e-services, it added.
The ministry said the agreement reflects its keenness, and that of the GAZT, to raise awareness about the need for establishments to submit Zakat and income statements in order to avoid penalties.
The signing ceremony was led by Deputy Minister of Labor and Social Development Ahmed Al-Humaidan, and GAZT Gov. Suhail Abanmi.

Main category: 

The post Saudi Labor Ministry, GAZT sign data exchange deal appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Image

North Korea Hackers May Have Stolen Submarine, Weapons Info From South Korea

November 3, 2017 cody 0

North Korean hackers broke into a South Korean defense contractor’s computers and stole submarine blueprints and other classified military information, according to a South Korean lawmaker. Kyung Dae-soo, a member of South Korea’s …

The post North Korea Hackers May Have Stolen Submarine, Weapons Info From South Korea appeared first on bitcoinmining.shop.

The post North Korea Hackers May Have Stolen Submarine, Weapons Info From South Korea appeared first on Forex news forex trade.